Well maybe awareness isn't the right word but I'm not trying too look too deep into it this late at night! :)

On our drive up from O-Town to Indy, my oldest Lucas was in fine form asking it seemed like 100 questions. He has ADHD so its not like they are in any form that makes sense either. They bounced from one subject to another. Anyhoo....the topic of music came up because he asked who I was listening to on the radio. I'm pretty sure that I was listening to Mana which is my favorite Mexican rock band. He then started to ask me what they were saying because he doesn't understand Spanish. (I really should be trying to get to him to learn it but I'll admit that I'm not the best at teaching anything.) I told him for the most part songs are stories that people sing. That concept doesn't quite make sense to an 8 year old but he was trying to understand. Of course it probably didn't help that the particular subject of the song I was listening to was about some chick that has 2 men in her life. Does that make much sense to anyone?

I told him that James and I like a lot of the same music but we don't like all of the same stuff. How boring would that be? I'm always making cracks on his heavy/death metal or the fact that he likes Jewel. I'm sorry...I know she's real musician and all but I can't get over her "summer teeth" and the yodeling. Both may be appealing to some but its just kinda annoying to me. His taste in music is all over the place. On the flip side, I know that he doesn't that I listen to rap and R&B. He doesn't get music like that. So we agree to disagree about some things. I just hope our kids grow up and have their own take on music and what sounds good to them.

I remember watching my first video around the same time MTV was first launched. I guess I was around 4 or so and I spent most of the 80's watching MTV a lot. VH1 wasn't cool then so I can't say I watched it much then but now I prefer that over MTV. Being exposed to so much music that early was a great way to figure out what was I liked. That got me to thinking that Lucas is almost at that age where he can learn to play an instrument if he wants to. We have another year to wait though. :P

Can I just say that I hope none of them is big on bubblegum pop? There is a band or group for every generation so I know it will be around as they get older but I can only take so much of that crap.

Okay...I should probably go to bed or something. Its a nasty night out in Nap Town. Just way too muggy for my liking. Yuck!


This entry was posted on 9:04 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: